My easy homemade German apple cake recipe will surely become a favorite on your dessert list.
Don’t forget to make this easy fresh apple cake recipe with my secret’ topping. It will take this apple cake to the next level of delicious goodness. Pinky promise!
This beautiful homemade apple cake with lots of fresh apples is so moist and aromatic that you will instantly fall in love with it.
And thanks to our topping, the crust is slightly crunchy with an irresistible buttery flavor to it.
I apologize in advance for not having more pictures, but I forgot to take them while I was shooting the video.
But do not worry. here is my step-by-step video tutorial, just in case you are unsure about certain steps.
For my German apple cake recipe, I am using five medium-sized apples from our apple tree. It won’t get fresher than this.
Simply peel the apples and cut them into very thin slices. Put them into a large bowl and drizzle with some lemon juice and cinnamon sugar.
Making the batter is pretty straightforward too.
You’ll only need 2 eggs, melted butter, flour, baking powder, and milk. And please, don’t forget the vanilla extract. It tastes so much better.
But what makes this apple cake so special is the topping consisting of brown butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
You put it on just before the cake is cooked through. That means that you have to take the cake out after it has been in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Once you add the topping, bake the German apple cake for another 15 minutes. So delicious!
In these 15 minutes, the butter, and sugar can form a perfect crust in the hot oven.
We love to enjoy this amazingly easy-to-make apple cake with a dollop of cream and some vanilla ice cream.
To me, it is the perfect dessert or a special treat for afternoon tea.
Here is an extra tip: the apple cake tastes best while still lukewarm. I know it is hard to wait but worth it in the end.
German Apple Cake Recipe
If you’re like me, you can’t resist the sweet aroma of cinnamon and apples wafting through the kitchen. It is scrumptious..
By the way, you don’t need to have a hand mixer to put this easy recipe together.
I just used a whisk and the apple cake was done in no time at all.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you.
But now, without further ado, let’s dive right in…
Easy Homemade German Apple Cake Recipe
- 5 medium sized apples
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 grams 3oz melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 lemon – juice
To Make Cinnamon Sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- 25 grams 1oz butter
Get The Apples Ready
- Peel and quarter the apples. Cut in very thin slices.5 medium sized apples
- Place the apple slices into a big bowl.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the apples. Stir in one tablespoon of cinnamon sugar.1/2 lemon – juice
- To make the cinnamon sugar, simply mix the ground cinnamon together with the sugar. Mix thoroughly.1 tsp ground cinnamon, 5 tbsp sugar
- Set the bowl aside for later.
The Cake Batter
- Put two eggs with the sugar and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl. Whisk together.2 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the melted butter and whisk.100 grams 3oz melted butter
- Now, whisk in the milk.1 cup milk
- Add the baking powder to the flour and sieve into the mixture.1 tsp baking powder, 1 cup flour
- Either fold in with a spatula or use the whisk. Don't worry if it looks a bit lumpy.
- Lastly, add the apple slices. Make sure the apples are coated with the batter.
- Pour the apple/ cake batter into a lined springform baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F/180 Degrees Celcius for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes add our special topping. Please note: the cake is not fully cooked yet.
Get The Topping Ready
- While the apple cake is in the oven, get the topping ready. We have got the cinnamon sugar already.
- Now we have to make brown butter: gently melt the butter on low heat.25 grams 1oz butter
- Increase the heat to medium and fry the butter until it changes its color to a light and slightly darker brown. You will notice that there is a bit of foam on the butter and a lovely aromatic smell. You don't want to burn the butter.
- Once you got the desired color turn off the heat.
After 30 Minutes Baking Time
- Take the cake out of the oven and drizzle the brown butter over the top.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon sugar on top.
- Put the cake back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes. It will have a beautiful golden-brown crust on the top.
- Let it cool down for a bit and enjoy with some cream and maybe a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
sweetascooking.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, Amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through its affiliate links