I am super excited to share with you today how to make a German meatloaf. Not only is it easy to make, but it also tastes so delicious.
Best of all, you don’t even need any fancy equipment
You will need a bit of muscle power though to knead the meat mixture. Alternatively, you can also use a stand mixer if you own one. Here is a link to a good quality one.
German Meatloaf/Deutscher Leberkaese is such a classic German dish that most people love. It is a hearty and rustic meal that you will find in most German regions.
Other German dishes, you may like to try: The Best German Potato Salad – So Delicious, Authentic German Potato Pancakes (Deutsche Kartoffelpuffer), or German Apple Cake With Streusel Topping
I found the original recipe on YouTube on a German channel called ‘kein Stress kochen’ (KSK) and was amazed at how delicious the German meatloaf tasted.
The spices play a very important role and, best of all, you can easily adjust them to your liking. Leave something out maybe or add spices you really like.
For the meat, you’ll need an equal mix of ground beef and minced pork to give the meatloaf a great flavor.
To mix everything together, I wear gloves because not only do I have to add icy cold water but also have to work the meat dough for around 10 minutes.
Of course, you’ll find the exact step-by-step instructions in the printable recipe card below.
As I have mentioned before, if you have a stand mixer or a handheld kitchen mixer, you can also mix the dough using the dough hooks.
Once you knead the meat mixture for at least 10 minutes, it is ready to go into a loaf pan.
It is important to grease the loaf pan with a little bit of oil so the meatloaf won’t be sticking to it once it has been baked in the oven.
Here is an important tip: When you fill in the meat dough into the loaf pan, make sure to press the mixture down as tight as possible.
This is necessary to prevent any air bubbles during the baking process. Check out my YouTube video so you know exactly what I mean.
Before putting the meatloaf into the preheated oven, smoothen out the surface with a little bit of water. Just slightly wet your hands and go over the top part.
Wow, after one hour in the oven, my German meatloaf looks and smells absolutely amazing. As hard as it is, I recommend waiting a few minutes before cutting it so the meat juice can stay inside.
I love to serve the meatloaf either with German potato salad on the side or with pan-fried potatoes plus a fried egg as well.
You can choose how thick or thin you’d like to cut the slices. Everyone is different but as a main meal, I prefer thicker slices.
How To Make A German Meatloaf
I do hope you will give this recipe a try. If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you. Please note that the recipe card contains affiliate links. Read more here.
But enough said. Put on your apron and let’s get cooking…
How To Make A Tasty German Meatloaf – Deutscher Leberkaese
- 1 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspices
- 1/2 tsp curing salt
- 1 tbsp pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1 pound minced pork
- 1 pound minced beef
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml icy cold water 1 hour before making the meatloaf, place the container with water into your freezer
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tsp oil to grease the loaf pan
- Place the meat into a large mixing bowl1 pound minced pork, 1 pound minced beef
- Measure the spices and put them onto the meat1 tbsp onion flakes, 1 tbsp garlic granules, 1 tbsp white pepper, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp allspices, 1/2 tsp curing salt, 1 tbsp pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Add the cornflour and baking powder as well2 tbsp cornflour, 1 tsp baking powder
- Now start mixing the ingredients together with your hands or a mixer with dough hooks; add the food color if you want but it is optional2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Gradually add the water and mix well, you are basically kneading the meat mixture250 ml icy cold water
- It will take around 10 minutes of kneading to achieve the right consistency; the meat mixture should look kind of smooth
- Now preheat the oven to 150 Degrees Celcius/302F
- Grease the loaf pan with oil and fill in the meat mixture1 tsp oil to grease the loaf pan
- Make sure to pack the meat dough as tightly to prevent any air holes
- Smooth the surface with a little bit of water
- Bake for one hour in the preheated oven
- To achieve a nice crust I like to put the top grill on for around 5 to 10 minutes
- Enjoy hot or cold with fried potatoes, German potato salad, or cold on a slice of bread
sweetascooking.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, Amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links.