In my recipe post today, I am going to show you how to make crusty German bread rolls without kneading. They are super simple to make and everyone will love the crusty outside and chewy inside.
If you want to enjoy an authentic German breakfast then these homemade tasty German bread rolls are a must.
In fact, Sonntagsbroetchen (German rolls) are the star of every German breakfast.
If you like these German bread rolls for your Sunday breakfast, mix your wet and dry ingredients on Saturday evening, cover the bowl with cling wrap and a clean tea towel, and leave it overnight on your kitchen bench.
Best of all there is no kneading required. It can’t get easier than this.
My German bread rolls recipe with no kneading is foolproof. If you follow my instructions or my video step-by-step, you can’t go wrong.
Watch my video here to see how I make these tasty German bread rolls.
When you’re ready in the morning, remove the cover from the bowl and tip the risen dough onto a floured workbench.
Cut the dough into 8 to 9 pieces, and shape them into round or oval bread rolls.
Cover them with a clean towel and let them rest for around 30 minutes. Now is a good time to preheat the oven,
By the way, the shape of the rolls doesn’t have to be perfect. So don’t stress too much about it if they look a bit uneven.
Once the rolls have rested for around 30 minutes, put them onto a pizza tray or baking tray. To prevent the rolls from sticking to the tray, I either dust them with flour or line the tray with baking paper.
Finally, cut the surface of the rolls with a sharp knife or a lame.
Now, it is time to put them into the preheated oven. Bake these beauties at 430 Fahrenheit or 220 Degrees Celcius for at least 15 minutes.
Here is an important step: While the bread rolls are baking, make sure to put an ovenproof dish filled with water into the oven as well.
It creates steam that will help the rolls to puff up nicely.
After around 20 minutes you will have the most amazing crusty German bread rolls to enjoy.
All there is left to do now is to let them cool down for a bit before presenting them at your breakfast table.
A typical traditional German breakfast offers a variety of sweet and savory choices, a boiled egg or scrambled eggs, as well as a nice cup of coffee.
What a great day to start the morning, wouldn’t you agree?
German Bread Rolls | No Kneading
I do hope you will try this recipe. Let me know in the comment section below.
Please note that my recipe card contains affiliate links. Read more here.
By the way, you can also use them as dinner rolls. Also, for my German bread rolls recipe, I am using a mix of bread flour and Spelt flour. If you don’t have Spelt flour available, simply use bread flour instead.
The result will still be quite similar. Bread rolls with Spelt flour taste a bit more rustic in my opinion.
But enough said. Put your apron on and get started with my easy recipe on how to make German bread rolls for your next breakfast.
Crusty German Bread Rolls – Knusprige Sonntagsbroetchen
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups Spelt flour Note: if you don't have spelt flour, simply use bread flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- 2 to 3 tbsp flour for dusting
- 1 cup water for the ovenproof dish
In the evening
- First off, mix the wet ingredients in a measuring cup.1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Put the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix well.2 cups Spelt flour, 2 cups bread flour, 1/2 tsp dry yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsp pink Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- Slowly add the wet ingredients until the liquid has been absorbed by the flour. If the dough is too dry, e.g. there is still some flour, add a bit more water.
- Use a fork or your hands to mix everything together.
- Once everything is well combined, cover the bowl with cling wrap and a clean towel and leave it overnight on your kitchen bench.
In the morning
- Remove the cling wrap from the bowl.
- Dust your workbench with a little bit of flour and tip the dough onto it.2 to 3 tbsp flour for dusting
- By the way, if the dough is too sticky dust it with a bit of flour as well.
- Cut the dough into two halves and roll each half into a roll. Cut each roll into equal smallish pieces. You should get around 8 to 9 pieces.
- Form each dough piece into a round or oval shape.
- Place it onto your lightly floured baking sheet or pizza tray, cover it with a clean towel, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 Degrees Celcius/430 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place an ovenproof dish filled with water into the oven.1 cup water
- After 30 minutes uncover the rested dough and cut each piece with a sharp knife or lame.
- Bake in the hot oven for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the bread rolls cool down on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings!!!
sweetascooking.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, Amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links.