Our vegetable garden did well this summer with an abundance of fresh tomatoes. So what better way of using them, besides in salads and sandwiches, to make our incredibly easy pasta sauce recipe with fresh tomatoes?
It is a quick recipe full of flavor with a taste of summer.
I always double the recipe and keep a few batches in the freezer. This fresh pasta sauce can also be used for lasagna, pizza, or even a hearty beef stew.
The most time-consuming part is prepping aka chopping our main ingredients.
The bell pepper/capsicum (you can use any color you like), the onion, and of course the tomatoes.
Once it’s done, let it simmer away on the stove for around 20 minutes. If you have more time, I would even leave it on the stove for around an hour. That’s why, the flavors have even more time to develop.
I do love to use a stick blender to make the pasta sauce with fresh tomatoes nice and thick but still a bit chunky.
You can serve this tomato sauce with any pasta you like: spaghetti, penne, fettuccine, dried, or fresh pasta.
In this recipe, I used fresh egg fettuccine. Just make sure you stick to the cooking time.
In fact, I slightly undercook the pasta because just before I serve it, I like to heat up the pasta in the freshly made tomato sauce.
That way, the pasta can absorb all the yummy flavors from the sauce.
Simply heat the sauce and pasta together in a skillet until the pasta is al dente.
This is also a good time to add more seasoning if necessary.
Serve our simple and delicious pasta dish with freshly grated parmesan (heaps of it) garnished with fresh basil.
That is what summer tastes like for me: light and fresh, a little bit spicy, with some herbs, and a hint of garlic.
Enjoy with a chilled glass of white wine and a fresh garden salad on the side.
My family and I also like to eat this simple pasta dish with our crispy fried eggplant. It is truly a delicious combination.
Other recipes you may like: Adjaruli Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread) Recipe With Sourdough, The BEST Stuffed Mushrooms With Cream Cheese, and Scrumptious Tortilla Egg Rolls.
By the way, my pasta sauce recipe made with fresh tomatoes is one of my kid’s favorite dinner ideas (right after pizza of course).
I do love that they get fresh vegetables on their plate since they are usually quite picky when it comes to a good serving of vegetables.
Easy Pasta Sauce Recipe With Fresh Tomatoes
I do hope you will love this easy and delicious pasta sauce recipe made with fresh tomatoes. As I mentioned earlier, I always double the recipe and keep some batches of sauce in the freezer.
You can not only use it with pasta but also for lasagna, and pizza, as an extra addition to stews, or even jazz it up as BBQ sauce (with some extra ingredients of course).
Please note that the recipe card includes affiliate links. Read more in my affiliate disclosure here.
If you rather watch my step-by-step cooking tutorial, you can find it here.
Please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel so you won’t miss out on the latest videos.
Without further ado, let’s get to the recipe.
Easy And Delicious Pasta Sauce With Fresh Tomatoes
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic. grated
- 1 bell pepper capsicum (any color)
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pinch chili flakes (optional)
- Dice the onion and set it aside.
- Chop the bell pepper in pieces and set aside for later.
- Roughly cut the tomatoes into pieces and also remove the green middle part.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and fry on low to medium heat until softened.
- After a few minutes add the grated garlic, salt, pepper, and chili flakes and gently fry on low heat for a couple more minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste and stir well.
- Finally, add the tomatoes and mix well together. Add more salt and pepper (to taste) and the dried herbs.
- Put the lid on and let it simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off and puree with a stick blender until thick.
- I do like to heat up the cooked pasta together with the sauce in a pan.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Delicious!
sweetascooking.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, Amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through its affiliate links